To support the school in meeting the educational, social and physical health needs of children through effective and meaningful involvement of parents as partners.
The role of the Parent Council is to:
- Support the school in its work with pupils.
- Represent the views of all parents.
- Encourage links between the school, parents, pupils, school groups and the wider community
- Report back to all the parents in the school.
- Support the school and pupils during school inspections.
- Serve as a communication and information channel between the school and community.
- Make recommendations to the school principal and the Board on any matter they see impacting accountability and academic excellence..
The objectives of the council aim at improving the school learning environment by:
- Representing collective parental views when advising the school.
- Promoting and maintaining a positive school environment through placing the overall interest of the school and all of its students first.
- Seeking the views, opinions and cooperation of the School Community in the operation of the school and the programs and services provided.
- Recognizing the diversity of the school population and community and encouraging and supporting active participation by all.
- Responding to requests for feedback and consultation from the school administration on the development and implementation of policies, programs and services affecting the school.
- Providing advice on the development, implementation and review of the school plan for continuous improvement.
- Developing, maintaining and encouraging communication between parents, students, educators and administrators.
- Promoting and developing good relations between the school and the community.
- Supporting, encouraging, and improving the quality of education and the well-being of students in the School.
- Providing the means of effectively organizing parent volunteers.
- Acting in an advisory capacity and as a resource to the school director, senior staff, and, when appropriate, to the school president on such issues as:
- School policy and procedures.
- School curriculum.
- School year calendar.
- School code of students’ behaviour.
- School community communication strategies.
- Co-curricular activities.
- School based services such as transportation, canteen, etc …
- Health and safety.
- Facilities and equipment.
- Learning resources.
- Parents’ Council constitution
Members of the Parent Council are elected for a two year term of office. Once their children leave the school, they are obliged to resign from the Parents Council.
The purpose of Parent Council meetings are to:
- Decide what actions to take.
- Come to decisions which everyone is happy with.
- Benefit from the ideas, skills, knowledge, and opinions of all members.